Wednesday, May 12, 2010

War Wounds

While getting ready to go out last night I noticed a raised red spot on the side of my chin.  I attempted to hide it with cover-up and moved on (covering redness is a way of life for pasty-skinned girls like me).  It didn't cover very well, however, and when I got home both of the girls made a comment about "the red thing" on my face.  Nice.

It wasn't until I sat down to brag to the Spicy Chicken about the intense workout I had that day that it dawned on me what "the red thing" was - my very first Workout War Wound!  If you saw the things Hyam makes us do you wouldn't surprised by a facial injury, but even I have to admit this one happened out of sheer spasticity (is that even a word?)!

During our first workout she had me throwing a medicine ball against the wall over my head, catching it, squatting and then throwing it again.  This medicine ball was leather (see photo below), heavy and and had to be thrown hard to get it to come back to you.



Yesterday we did the same exercise.  In my fatigued-state, however, I did not realize that the ball we were using looked more like this: 


Obviously this one takes a little less force to get it to bounce back so when thrown with great intensity it will come back hard and fast.  Thus, if your face is in the way it will hit it - and scrape it - and if I'm really lucky - eventually bruise it!  


Are you feeling sorry for me yet?  I didn't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment