Thursday, May 20, 2010

Food as Fuel

I wrote this post a few weeks ago but accidentally never published it.  It's still as relevant as it was then - if not more.


Do you think about what you eat?  I mean, really think about it?  Think about what that food can do and will do for your body?  I don't - or didn't until now.  

I've had a love-hate relationship with food as long as I can remember.  I love to eat - but I hate myself after.  Even when I don't indulge I feel guilty about it. My weight has consumed me most of my life I struggle with seeing food as a positive when it comes to my body. This, despite the fact that I could recite the definition of a calorie in my sleep - 'heat value equaling the energy or fuel value of food' (see Dad, I told you I'd use my Biology degree eventually!). I've never been able to relate this textbook definition to my real life.
I've always just food it as fueling my problem - not solving it.





So as far as I have come in the past 10 years I still have a long way to go.  In the few weeks that I've been working on changing my lifestyle I've made quite a few revelations about my views and habits - and how those things are going to need to change. 


For instance less than 10 minutes into the my first workout it became very clear that I was going to need to start eating better if I was going to survive (or at least get through it without puking!).  

No comments:

Post a Comment