Tuesday, November 30, 2010

So Long Sugar


An interesting thing happened tonight when the girls and I were shopping for and working on their gingerbread houses for the Virginia Gingerbread Christmas contest  (we bought the pre-made houses but decorated them with our own stuff). The sugar, frosting, candy, cookies -  even the pretzels - did not appeal to me.  Nothing about any of it made me want to eat it. Nothing.  It actually nauseated me.

For most people this wouldn't be such a big deal but for a big girl with a sweet tooth like mine it's  a pretty major thing.  I didn't get to where I was by eating enormous meals or tons of fast food - I got there by sneaking little bites of sugar here, there and well, everywhere

While they created their masterpieces (and popped candy corn, gum drops and jelly beans into their mouths when they thought I wasn't looking) I actually ate tomato soup and carrots with hummus.  

Who say you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

4 comments:

  1. I'm having the same reaction too, but not 100%. The cheap stuff turns me off, but I still drool over gourmet chocolate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go on and off the sugar wagon -- I'm on it now and feel so much better.
    I stopped eating sugar about 2 months ago. It's a lot easier for me to abstain than to try and control/regulate/obsess/worry about it!
    (I do still use honey in my tea...but honey doesn't mess with my head like sugar.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've contemplated going off completely so many times but I always chicken out. I know it'd be so great for me. Maybe after the holidays....

    ReplyDelete