Thursday, April 18, 2013

Boston


If you know me at all you are aware that it's pretty rare that I am at a loss for words. When it comes to the bombings at the Boston Marathon, however, I just seem to have nothing.

I wanted to sit down at the computer and come up with something profound, like so many people I've seen on Facebook, Twitter and other media outlets. But I've been back to this chair ten times in the past few days and still, nothing.

I've never even dreamed of accomplishing something like a marathon, let alone the Boston.  My father-in-law has done it. My friend and colleague at Clay, Elly Montague completed it that very day (fortunately she had finished long before the bombs went off).  And I have quite a few friends who have done other marathons.  All beyond amazing to me.  I still can't get through my head why someone want to hurt a bunch of runners and their supporters. Still, nothing.

So, I will do what quite a few others have done, and pass on the words of the beloved Mr. Fred Rogers, and the idea of wearing the race shirts we have accrued over time, in support of all the Boston Marathoners, the spectators, the citizens of the great city of Boston and America.  I donned my Charlottesville 10-Miler shirt Tuesday, Cherry Creek Sneak (circa 1994, my favorite) on Wednesday and Hilton Head Heritage 5K today, even though I know it won't really make a difference.  And when I head out on my run today, I'm going to cherish every moment (or at least try not to whine quite so much).



No comments:

Post a Comment