Sunday, January 23, 2011

Run Amy Run


I received an e-mail from a friend a week ago entitled "Marathon".  At first I thought she'd sent it to the wrong person.  As I continued to read, however, I realized she was actually asking me to consider doing a marathon with her.  A marathon?  Who was she kidding?  A marathon is 26  miles!  I can barely handle the 3 I do now. No freaking way!

But 12 hours later I couldn't get the thought out of my head. A marathon. How amazing would that be?  Wait - what did I just say?  I have friends who are marathoners and I've always told them that as amazing as I think they are, I think they're equally as crazy.  My father-in-law is a marthoner.  He's 2 inches shorter than me and weighs at least 50 pounds less. Running comes naturally to him.  He's even built like a marathoner.  I, on the other hand, am built more like a sumo wrestler.

I have a long list of things I'd like to be able to say I did someday. Running a marathon has never been one of them.  Now, however, I can't get it out of my head.  I made the mistake of mentioning this to Hyam who, of course, thought it was a fabulous idea!  Before I knew it she had me committing to a training group for the Charlottesville Ten-Miler.  Wait, I'm running the Charlottesville Ten-Miler???

So I'm NOT committing to anything further than 10 miles yet, but that marathon is in the back of my mind pecking away at me.  26 miles.  That'd be all the way to Crozet and back! Wow, that's a long way. 






1 comment:

  1. You are NOT built like a sumo wrestler!

    I think it's great that you're doing the 10-miler. It's on my list of goals for 2012. After that, a half marathon. After that, NOT a marathon. :-)

    ReplyDelete