A few months ago a friend was in her last few weeks of training for a marathon when she sent out a plea on Facebook for a few new songs to run to. It got me thinking about my favorite workout songs and what was on everyone else's play list. Since I've been running a lot more lately having a good playlist has become even more essential to me than ever so thought it'd be fun to share.
My taste is music is all over the board so I'm warning you - this is not for everyone. In this list you will see Miley Cyrus (I'm a mom of 8 and 10 year old girls, after all) and Van Halen (I was a teen in the 80's) mixed in with a little Linkin Park and Pearl Jam . I will also admit that my musical selection is NOT real deep so don't expect anything groundbreaking here.
Though I love all of these songs I'm getting kinda tired of everything on my play list these days, so tell me - what are you listening to?
- Right Now - Van Halen - I've been working out to this song for about 20 years. Did I just say 20 years?
- Evanescence - Bring Me To Life - I like this one at the beginning to pump me up
- 7 Things - Miley Cyrus - I warned you!
- Rearview Mirror - Pearl Jam - One of my favorite bands of all time. I also usually include Glorified G and Better Man somewhere in my mix.
- Pump It - Black Eye Peas - Typical, I know, but how can you argue with lyrics like "shake it, shake it, shake girl - make sure you don't break it, girl"?
- Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson - Great for pushing myself up the big hill by my house (also a great roller skating song from my youth).
- Breaking the Habit - Linkin Park - I actually have this In The End, Numb and What I've Done scattered throughout my mix.
- But Anyway - Blue Traveler - Nothing like a harmonica solo from an obese man to get you moving. That said, I totally love Blues Traveler.
- Thunderstruck - AC/DC - Reminds me of my senior year of high school. I was skinny back then. Also, love the strong, heavy beat that these old hard rock songs had.
- Don't Stop Believin' - Journey - An 80's classic, but I admit the Glee version got me re-interested in this one
- The Distance - Cake - Usually have this one for when I'm struggling at the 1/2 way mark.
- Baby I'm a Star - Prince - A good Minnesota girl must have a little Prince in her mix
- Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes - This is on one of Hyam's mixes so when I hear it I hear her, too. She pushes me in a good way.
- Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz - Lenny Kravitz is the definition of cool
- Brick House - The Commodores - Shake it down, shake it down now...
- Champion in Me - Three Doors Down - If you haven't heard this watch the video & listen. I am totally inspired by Olympic athletes.
- Song 2 - Blur - Great for speed work/intervals
- Baby Got Back - Sir Mix A Lot - Love me some cheesy 90's hip-hop/rap
- Did You Ever Look So Nice - The Samples - A little slower but one of my all-time favorite bands so it rocks for me.
- This is Your Life - Switchfoot - Deep lyrics.