Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Never Too Old

The other day I mentioned that I participated in the Red Shoe Cville Chili Cook-Off only because the Spicy Chicken wasn't able to attend.  I am sure you are dying to know what could have possibly been so important that he'd miss something like defending his title in a chili cook-off?  Well, it happened to be his grandfather's 90th birthday party.  There are few things he'd miss the chance to cook for, but his grandpa is definitely one of them.

There are a million things that a person could say about Glenn Dody.  He's 90 - he's been through, done, seen and said a lot.  He currently lives in what he affectionately calls "The Compound" - a double wide park in Mesa, Arizona, where he's surrounded by "youngsters" in their 80's. He's known for his dumpster diving skills, using the pool as a "shower" and his lifelong dedication to exercise.  He has a "mind like a steel trap" and isn't afraid to tell you what's going on inside it.  He eats one meal a day at Wendy's, where the "nice kids that work there" know his name and his order. He still participates in the Senior Olympics. He's one hell of a man. 

When I was cleaning out Spicy's suitcase I came across a folded piece of paper covered in handwriting.  When I asked him if it was something he needed his response was  "Grandpa asked me to read this at the party. You have to read it." This is what it said.

"I would like to thank the people who have made the exercise program successful.

Of course, the people who attend every exercise class are important.  Last year we had 395 people attend the classes. We will make room for anyone who joins us, no one will be left out. This year's classes will be even bigger than last year.

You are never too old to chase your dreams.  Last month Diana Nyad was a good example of this.  She is now 64 years old and had swam the route between the USA and Cuba four times without completing it. The course is 133 miles long and takes 53 hours. This year, her 5th try, she completed it. My point in telling this story is that you're never too old to exercise. 

The classes will be on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 9AM at the exercise room.  

Thank you."

Glenn Dody is a 90 year old veteran who has lived a very full life.  He doesn't have a weight problem; the possibility of having a stroke does not scare him; heart disease is not a concern; diabetes will never know his name.  He could choose to sit at home in front of the television all day, but he doesn't. Instead, he gets up and walks himself to the gym to teach exercise classes to 395 of his closest friends.  Next year it will be even bigger.

I know the "What's Your Excuse?" post by Maria Kang became pretty controversial this past month, and I even understand why, but as I read the words of my 90 year old grandfather-in-law I can't help but ask myself the same question.  I'm pretty sure Glenn Dody never had one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment