Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bookworm


On our fifteen minute drive to soccer practice the other day M pulled out and book and started reading.  "Am I that boring?"  I asked her jokingly.  "No. I'm just really into this book right now mom. You know how I am."

And I do. M has had a book in her hands since they were large enough to hold one. At any given time her backpack will be filled with three - maybe more - that she is currently reading, and her nightstand will be piled high with current, pending and completed reads. She loves reading so much that a few months ago when in a puberty-driven hormonal rage she found herself using a few choice words to let me know exactly how she felt about me her punishment wasn't to take away her iPod, computer or television time like most kids, but rather her books. She was devastated. And yes, I thought to myself "I cannot believe I am doing this".

While the voracious reader in her is definitely inherited from my mom and sister, M and I definitely find common ground in literature. When making a list of our current favorite books yesterday, for example, we overlapped on three different books including The Help, The Hunger Games (which I started reading only to make sure it was okay for her and then couldn't put down) and Little Bee (which I read for a third time after she decided she wanted to read it).  I too find myself reading more than one book at a time. Right now, for instance, I'm in the middle of five different books, most of which you will find in my suitcase-sized, Mary Poppin-likes purse (I've tried to downsize several times but always wind up back with my Big Buddha). 

But while M's choices are largely based on what her best friends are reading, the New York Times Best Seller List and whatever Auntie Paula has recently suggested, my choices are more based on the season, my job and my exercise of choice at the moment.  

For instance, here is what I am currently reading: 

My six-week hiatus from running while the stress fracture healed has come and gone. It's time to get back out there.  These women know their stuff.  They're funny, strong and REAL.  They've created an entire movement around their writing.  Totally inspiring.

I'm of the school of thought that summer reading should not require too much brain power. Okay, so it's not quite summer yet, but close enough for me. Though this isn't nearly as witty as the last Rendahl book I read, it's at least kept me mildly entertained while waiting for soccer practice to end and I am still curious to see how it ends.

I came across this book while searching for a different one and bought it because it looked funny.  I was right. Her writing style in this book is similar to mine, although she usually writes murder mysteries.  A lot of great anecdotes to life in general, and as I've said a million times before - I love to laugh. 

So I haven't actually had the nerve to crack this one open yet.  Not sure if I'm quite ready for the "marked improvement" in my sex life that I keep hearing I will have...

A far cry from 50 Shades of Grey, but all play and no work makes Amy poor and unable to buy great new summer shoes!





So, now you know what I'm carrying around in that suitcase-purse of mine.  I probably don't have a pen or a stick of gum if you need it, but I will have something entertaining to read if you're in the market for that (and I usually have at least 3 not-quite-right shades of lipstick).  

And when you see M walking down the road with a backpack that weighs more than she does don't blame the school system - blame JK Rowling - she's currently re-reading books 4 and 5 of the Harry Potter series!


No comments:

Post a Comment