Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lucky


I'm not Irish, but I definitely consider myself lucky.  

As I sit here in my office writing, reading and pinning things on Pinterest researching, my parents - who are nearly 70 years old - are hard at work packing boxes, patching holes and making some semblance of order out of the disaster our home has become over the past few weeks.  Next week they will help unpack these boxes, tear down wallpaper and paint at the new house.  And yes, they actually volunteered to do this.

Lucky.

According to www.thefreedictionary.com one definition of lucky is "occuring by chance".  That definition works for me because truly I didn't do anything to deserve this.  Sure, I was a pretty good kid growing up - got good grades, used my manners most of the time, occasionally cleaned my room when asked...but those are things I actually learned from my parents.  Add that to list of things I need to thank them for. 

Lucky.

Looking back I didn't understand or appreciate all that my parents did (and obviously continue to do) for me.  I'm a parent now myself and some of that is coming back to bite me (who knew puberty would be so hard?) but mostly it's teaching me how fortunate I am to have a family that not only loves me, but go out of their way to help me regardless of the task at hand. 

Lucky.

As my daughters grow into young adults this is the kind of stuff I want to instill in them.  Give to others more than to yourself.  Be there when people need you.  Love one another.  When you do this it all seems to come back to you in amounts much greater than what you gave.  Or at least that is what my mom - who is currently cleaning out my garage - tells me.   

Lucky...is an understatement






No comments:

Post a Comment