Tuesday, January 17, 2012

10 Miles





Well, I did it - I registered for the Charlottesville Ten Miler!  

Truth be told I was really hoping to do a half marathon this year, but Hyam and Callie thought given my current maximum distance of much less than 13.1 miles, my propensity for shin splints and the fact that the race is a mere 4 months away it was in my best interest to shoot for the 10-Miler instead.  


I'm not going to lie - I was a little disappointed when I heard their idea.  I mean - ten miles is a great race but a half marathon? Now that's kick ass.  


Nevertheless, I trust them. So at the start of the month I embarked on a new training plan designed to get me to 10 miles by the March 31 race day.  The plan incorporates a 10% distance increase each week, as well as the current training I am doing at Clay of one day of each cycling, personal training and athletic training.  The days I'm not at Clay I focus on one "Short" run and one "Long" run and two "Rest" days. Wow - that sounds like a helluva lot of training.  Who knew I was so bad ass? 


Ideally I would be doing yoga or pilates on my "Rest" days. But at this point I feel that getting out of bed on those days is a feat in itself so finding my inner chi is going to have to sit on the backburner for awhile. 


Half way through week three of training things are going pretty well.  I'm still standing, haven't cried once and as long as I ice, stretch, foam roll and use the "Tiger Tail Rolling Muscle Massager" (love this thing!) religiously my shins don't hurt too much. While I don't think I'll ever be one of those people who loves to run (because I still kinda hate it) I'm up to 3.6 miles and I'm not whining too much yet.  Hey, maybe I'll train for a full marathon next year....


Just kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment