Saturday, June 22, 2013

W4MTP





A few weeks ago I received an e-mail from Pam Whorley, Director of the Women's Four Miler Training Program (W4MTP).  Would I be interested in being the speaker for one of their upcoming weeks, she asked.  

Would I? Would I? Would I?  Ummm, I mean, sure, yeah, that'd be cool, I guess...

It wasn't until a few days later that I realized that although public speaking had once been a big part of my job, it had been years since I'd gotten up in front of a large group of people.  Was I even capable of doing it anymore?  Did she really want me to talk for ten whole minutes? Ten minutes was an awfully long time to stand in front of all those people. And what in the world was I going to say about motivation anyway?

Oh well, too late to turn back now, I guess...

As I drove toward the University Hall parking lot and saw the pathways lined with pink flamingos (a former fear of mine you may recall), heard the music playing loudly in the background and witnessed groups of smiling, excited women entering the track my jitters almost disappeared. Almost.

It was over before I knew it and I'm happy to say that I didn't make a complete fool of myself.  The crowd laughed at my jokes, clapped at the exciting parts, and seemed to genuinely share in my experiences. If I had the chance to do it over again would I change a few things?  Of course (like remember to set my phone down).  Could I have done better?  Sure (like not using my notes as a crutch -  I knew that thing forwards and backwards!) But all in all it went well, and it definitely was an incredible experience.

My favorite part, I must admit, occurred after my speech while running around the track with Moe.  She has committed to doing the training program with me this summer and, hopefully, the Charlottesville Women's 4-Miler race with me.  How incredible to have her at my side, doing something that means so much to me.  

Thank you Pam, the Pink Ladies and everyone else involved in the W4MTP, for giving me the opportunity to be a part of something so wonderful and for putting your heart and soul in to creating and maintaining a program that means so much to so many people. May the 20th year of the W4MTP be the most fabulous yet!!  

*If you didn't make it out to the track this morning to catch the speech live you can read it here.








No comments:

Post a Comment