Saturday, January 12, 2013

It's Not Easy Being Green

Earlier this week I was peer pressured by Hyam and Jody in to signing up for Friday's Athletic Training class at Clay  (it's nice to have friends who pressure you in to making your life better!). I had missed our cycling class on Saturday so I knew I needed to make it up and was feeling pretty strong after my personal training session with Hyam. When I woke up this morning, however, I wasn't feel so sure of myself.

I've learned from experience that if I am going to make it through an intense class like this it is essential that I eat something prior to the class.  The issue is, I have to eat just the right amount. Too much and I feel like I am going to puke.  Too little and I don't have the energy to maintain the intensity.  The answer I've come up with is a green smoothie made with greek yogurt.  The yogurt is key for me because it gives me the protein necessary to keep up - or at least try.

I was all set this morning to make said smoothie when I realized one little problem - we were out of green.  My holiday weight gain had prompted me to get back on the salad wagon the past few weeks I had eaten every ounce of greenery we had (with the exception of the girls' Christmas tree that it still sitting in the front hallway...). With no time to scramble eggs or come up with a new plan I proceeded to throw every piece of fruit (fresh, frozen or nearly rotten) in to the blender as I scoured the bottom of the produce drawer for any little hint of green.  I wound up with a few stalks of celery and a package of mini-carrots, both of which found their way in to the blender, too.  The result?  A very un-green, but delicious and nutritious nonetheless, smoothie that lasted me through the entire class.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment