Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Basic Green Smoothie


BASIC GREEN SMOOTHIE

1 cup blueberries or strawberries or combination
1 cup kale or spinach
1 banana
1/2 cup ice*
4-8 ounces coconut water**
1 ounce whey protein


*if using frozen berries ice isn't necessary **adjust liquid to your preference***makes 2 large smoothies


This is obviously a really easy recipe that is fairly sweet from the berries and banana.  You can go much greener (and less sweet) by omitting the banana and adding in things like celery and other greens.  I've tried green apples, mache, arugula, cucumber and watercress with success (though I am personally not a fan of cilantro, avocado, parsley or dandelion greens).  Other good options for adding nutrients are things like dates, figs, and various seeds (pumpkin, sunflowers, sesame, etc).  I've found that tossing in a tablespoon or two of flax seed is a great addition from a nutrient standpoint without changing the texture or taste.  And, if you've thought about adding some omega-3 to your diet but gag at the thought of swallowing those huge fish-oil pills I recommend trying Barleans Omega Swirl. It comes in yummy flavors like berry, orange and lemon that are great additions to a smoothie. But don't tell my kids -   they'd die if they knew I was adding fish oil to their breakfast!



1 comment:

  1. I am going to be trying this! I make a "monster smoothie" and the kids even love it....
    very similar. A banana (if you use a frozen one adjust ice), a bunch of spinach, ice, almond milk (1 cup), and protein powder....I like a vanilla protein powder. Very filling and nummy too!

    ReplyDelete